What is Temptation?
A strong and selfish desire to do that which is against the will of God.
An impulsive or sustained desire to do what is wrong and contrary to the will of God for personal satisfaction.
Trials/tests and temptations are similar and largely it is the context that determines whether it is a trial, test or temptation. The purpose of temptation is for you to go against an order or a command. Trial is to see who you are. In both Trial and Temptation, when you overcome them, they bring you promotion.
Things you must know about temptations/the anatomy of temptations
- God does not tempt us. (James 1:13)
- No man can tempt God
- The devil is behind all temptations ( directly/indirectly)
Indirectly means he is using a channel to get to you
- Everyone can be tempted and will indeed be tempted. Jesus was tempted by the devil even though he knew that he was the son of God. So we who are his servants will also be tempted so when you fall into temptations, do not be surprised. Go to God and say you are sorry. The higher you go, the greater the temptations. When you go higher, you usually have a lot of impact so the devil would want you to fall into a huge temptation so that when the news gets out it will hit a lot of people
- Temptation in itself is not sin it is when we yield to it.
- Temptation is intended to derail us from God’s purpose for our lives and ultimately destroy us. You are enticed and you think it is just something you must get or do because it is juicy but unfortunately you get trapped and if you do not come out, it leads you to destruction.
When a Christian falls to temptation, he or she feels guilty but the day you do not or are able to override your conscience then you need help.
God is not against your emotions
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
It means Jesus was tempted to lie, fornicate, cheat, but he said no to sin.
He hated sin and loved righteousness. It was a choice he made.
God is not against your emotions. He wants them to be directed to the right things and used at the right time. That is what is called self-control which is a fruit of the Spirit.
God has a purpose for your life. Do not make the troubles you are going through make you submit to something. The devil wants to use that to steal you from your future.
Be Saved Today
If you are reading this except and you have not received Jesus as your savior, kindly say this short prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
I am a sinner and cannot save myself.
I believe that you died for my sins and rose again.
Cleanse me with your blood and become the Lord over my life.
Thank you for your forgiveness, Amen
Welcome to the Kingdom of God. You can call the number on this website, or engage the chat line for any further counsel.